Friday, February 27, 2009

Bums to Bloggers

Today I came up with another great idea (although the greatness may only be in the humor that flows because of how serious I am about what may seem to you a ridiculous idea.) I was sitting at the Salt Lake Library on the top floor looking out huge windows and being quite productive going through my emails and organizing my work life. I turned around and I saw a black man stretched out comfortably on the yellow couch holding open a magazine and fast asleep. It was his worn Russian looking hat and his handcart that carried his entire life’s belongings that indicated to me that he was homeless. I wondered why he was so tired, and if he stayed up late, or if he just didn’t have anywhere to go and thus wandered around all night, or maybe he just didn’t have anything else to do, or maybe that magazine was to him what my accounting classes were to me, or maybe he really wasn’t asleep and was just faking it like what I do in my meetings and in classes that bore me (I feel it important to give the presenter instant feedback as to whether his content is interesting to me). Anyway, this homeless man got me thinking that it would be interesting to know about the life of a bum, what they do all day, how they spend their time, what they think about, and how you survive as a bum. Then it came, I linked my latest obsession with blogging to this bum and thought the following thoughts (this stream of consciousness with only the commas should not be judged for the lack of punctuation ); I could go and talk to a bum in the morning and tell him that I will pay him at the end of the day for him to write down all the things he saw and did and then I would blog it, I could give him a camera and have him take pictures, but then maybe he would steal my camera, but I don’t think he would because I am going to pay him at the end of the day but how much would I have to pay him, I think it would be interesting to have him document the demographics of the merciful people that gave him money and write down whether it was a male or female, what age, and how much they gave him, how long he worked and what his sign said, actually I think it would be better if I gave the bum certain tasks to complete throughout the day, like maybe have him study a certain topic in the library and then write me an email or if he doesn’t have email it might be better to give him paper and a pen, but it would be easier if he could email me, so I might have to give him a computer that has Computrace (low jack for computers) and he could blog about his whole experience, maybe I’ll have to find a group of bums and have them all write something and then I’ll choose the most entertaining or insightful ones and just put them on the blog, but what would I call the blog maybe I could call it bloggerbums no I would need to call it something else, what am I actually doing, yes I am turning bums into bloggers so I’ll call it bumstobloggers.com or bumstobloggers, I would have an unlimited amount of blog posts and they are bound to be entertaining. I could pay these bums to write and then I would either just put their writings down, or I would blog about their experiences, this is a really funny idea, I think I have something here, I need to call and tell somebody, I will call my brother Josh, he finally doesn’t shoot down my ideas right when he hears them, he’ll also have a good laugh as he tells Alisa this idea, she is the hardest to get buy off from…(Dial Josh, get voicemail)…. “Josh I have a new great idea- its called bumstobloggers- give me a call,” wow he is really going to crack up when he hears that, should I call Michelle, she may just think I am crazy, but I think this idea is hilarious and it is a good idea, I mean what isn’t good about this idea- this has all the makings of a great blog and great blogs bring people and people will click on the links on my site and then I will get paid a penny for every click and then I could make a billion dollars off of this, and when I make money off of this I can pay the bums more money as they write better and then they’ll finally be able to afford a place to stay and then I’ll be helping out the world and all these bums will be happier and I’ll really change this world because of my website bumstobloggers.com which is available and I can’t think of why I shouldn’t do this, I really need to tell somebody…….(Call Michelle, no answer)… darn… I could call my friend Jeff or Scott they might appreciate it, what am I thinking nobody is going to appreciate this idea, but why wouldn’t they it could change the world and turn bums into bloggers and at the very least it will provide loads of entertainment value……..(Phone rings) “Hi, Michelle, thanks for calling me back, I just wanted to share with you one of the best ideas I have had today- its called bumstobloggers………..” “Uh, that is really funny and strange, how are you going to make money off of that” “I’ll figure that part out later, anyway, it’s a great idea isn’t it” “It’s an idea, what are you doing tonight………….” She thinks I am crazy, she is probably right, it isn’t the best idea, but it could change the world, maybe the only value in the idea is how fun it will be to blog.

12 comments:

Buzybugs pixie.blogspot.com said...

Actually Mike, I personally think it's a great idea, I often see people when driving or sitting at the mall and often wonder what there story is? We all have a story behind our being. Thanks for the thoughts, maybe you will change your mind and find a way to do it:)

mamabear said...

I want to know why you didn't call me? I usually don't shoot your ideas down as fast as most people. I may not be as open as Josh, but I still would listen, and then think -- does his mind ever get a break? I think I know where he came from!!!

Michelle said...

I have some great ideas for the tasks you can assign:

1. Have them apply for a job...twice. Once, as is. Once, after you've cleaned them up. And they can compare and contrast there experience.

2. Ask them to write their biographies: not just the events of their day, but how they got to where they are (in their perspective).

3. Ask them about their proudest moments & their biggest regrets.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them.

mike_feher said...

please let us know when this blog site is up -- i'm researching homeless living right now and will be blogging for you in due time.

it's a great idea.

do it.

-mike the bum

KK said...

Great blog Mike!

beautifulbella said...

Holy cow this is an awesome idea! I couldn't help cracking up when you said you wanted to give a bum a camera and have them take pictures, but honestly, I would like to read the stories and would love that sort of site. You should do it!

Alisa said...

The idea is great. I like Michelles ideas. I also think a video camera would add. Maybe you could write a song about when they had their moments, days in the sun, moments, they were second to none.

Ray said...

OK. I'll play. I'm homeless. Or, well, I've got a futon in someones basement right now... But for about 12 years I've been living on rooftops and vehicles. I've written about it to the point of exhaustion, and not a single dime has resulted. You might be curious to know what a guy thinks, but once Pandora is out of the box that's a wicked trip, bro.

You can go ahead and read some of my outdated blogs by following this profile, but I don't really use it anymore due to the general fruitlessness of reporting my thoughts and experiences to a cold, selfish world.

My new thing? I'm trying to use fundable to buy a house, because it's only logical, right? Just cause I've slept in an RV for a decade doesn't mean my brains rotted out. So if your really interested, you could promote that for me. The stability of living in a HOUSE would provide you with a lifetime of art creation. And yes, homeless take outstanding photographs. If someone thinks that's funny, imagine I'm a damn good videographer as well.

HEY! Toss some loot at my fundable! Be a part of internet history and mass demonstration of kindness.
http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-02-26.3333638924

Scott said...

I would totally read that blog. I think it would be super entertaining! Let me know when you find a guy/gal who will do it for you so I can become a follower. :)

Marlowe said...

Michael,

Such a creative idea! Santa Monica is a Mecca to the homeless. Let me know what is working initially and I will take a stab at it down here.

Jeff

sherrie bebe said...

Jeff's right about LA! We once had someone take a bath in the toilet at the Visitors Center! I think this is a stroke of genius. I think eventually you should publish it in a book and title it "Will Blog for Food." (The book is where you'll get your revenue). I've already read your first post and I can't wait to read more. Somehow you could use this as a missionary tool as well and make the connection to King Benjamin's address about how we're all beggars and thrive on mercy, that way it's not just interesting info, but an introspective, life-changing experience for all who read it.

Kristin said...

This is a fun idea, Mike. Keep it up!

Favorite Family

  • Linton

Me Sleeping up at Strawberry

Me Sleeping up at Strawberry
One of my favorite things to do, even with my shoe(s) on